So you’re thinking about a solar thermal installation?
Congratulations – good choice!
Masters of Solar Thermal Heating in East Midlands
We’ve been doing this stuff since 2006, so we’re quite good at it now, if we do say so ourselves. We’re not a ‘jack of all trades’ renewable energy company, like most installers. We purely specialise in solar thermal heating solutions (that’s the hot water type of solar, not the electricity pv type).
Show me the money
It’s a really good time to have a solar thermal installation now because, after years of delays, the government is finally paying out a Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI).
This means that you can claim a payment of between £200 - £350 every year for the next seven years. It is worked out by your property type and size of installation you have. The cashback is paid quarterly.
Big bill savings
On top of all that, you will also make considerable savings (up to £400 a year) on your home energy bills. The saving and grant amounts vary depending on the size of the house and the size of the solar installation. For further information about the RHI click here.
To claim these payments, your installation must be completed by an MCS accredited installer. Plumb Solar Ltd was the 11th company in the UK to be MCS accredited back in 2007, so you’ll be in safe hands with us. We are specialists in installing flat plate solar thermal, evacuated tube solar thermal and combined solar heating and boiler systems.
How it works
Solar water heating (known as solar thermal) systems capture the free energy from the sun and use it to heat up water for use in the home. The hot water can be used for showers, baths, and washing or can be used by your boiler to lower your home heating costs. Solar energy is very effective at heating swimming pools as well.
The Solar Thermal Heating System Process
It’s a simple process:
- Panels or tubes on your roof (known as the collectors) absorb energy from the sun.
- The collectors contain a ‘heat transfer fluid’ which heat up.
- This fluid is pumped through a coil in your hot water cylinder -either a new cylinder or a retro-fitted coil in your existing cylinder.
- This coil transfers the heat to the water in the cylinder, a bit like a giant kettle.
- The cylinder can be a hot water system for your bath, showers, and washing.
- It can also be a thermal store which provides heat to the radiators and space heating as well. Solar space heating only works well with modern, well-insulated homes.
- Solar thermal panels are far more efficient than both PV (electric) panels and thermodynamic heat pumps meaning they take up less roof space and are cheaper to operate for heating water.
- Solar thermal collectors can be installed on your house, garage, outbuilding or garden. They can be orientated anywhere from West through South to East and they can be on a flat roof, sloping roof, or even on a vertical wall.
We work with the following manufacturers and suppliers: Viessmann UK, Kingspan Solar, Solfex, Mint Renewables, Secon Solar, PTS, Resol, PAW, Tiemme, Gledhill, Santon, Range Tribune, Telford, Newark Copper Cylinders and more.